Friends and family are always asking me to send them good German recipes, so this is my first to share, and it’s the perfect timing with it being the holiday season!
Christmas markets are open all over Germany, and along with pretty ornaments and Christmas decorations, the markets always have Glühwein, which is a German/Austrian spiced mulled wine. And it is delicious! It’s warm and cozy, and tastes like Christmas in a cup. If you like it a little boozier, you can add a shot of Brandy to keep you extra warm.
If you’re growing tired of hot cocoa or eggnog, this is the perfect adult beverage for the holidays. But be careful, they go down really easily!
Glühwein (Spiced Mulled Wine)
- 1 bottle medium-bodied red wine (pinot noir or shiraz are good choices)
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine wine, orange slices, spices and coconut sugar.
- Bring wine to a low simmer and simmer for 30 minutes. Do not let boil
- Remove wine from heat and strain to remove spices and orange.
- Serve warm in mugs with orange rind and cinnamon stick (optional).